Have you taken any of these actions to speak up for animals? If so, we want to hear about it! When you do any of the things listed here, tell us about it on our Facebook page.
Here are 10 easy things that you can do right now to help animals:
- Ask friends and family to make a New Year’s resolution that helps animals, such as purchasing and wearing only vegan fashion, volunteering at a local animal shelter, buying only cruelty-free beauty products, or, of course, eating vegan.
- Whether during New Year’s Eve or any other boisterous celebration, fireworks are terrifying for animals—and could be fatal. Prepare your home and animal companions before the event.
- Always be prepared to help dogs and cats in need—especially as cold weather hits your area: Make your own DIY animal-rescue kit (or buy this premade one).
- Small animals, such as squirrels and mice, seek shelter inside warm homes when it snows or rains. Learn how to deal kindly and humanely with these uninvited guests.
- As you clear out your clutter for a new year, consider posting your unwanted items on eBay and donating 10 to 100 percent of the earnings to PETA.
- Buying a cup of coffee at Starbucks or a sandwich from a deli? Give an animal rights message “name” like “Soy Boy” or “Fishing Hurts” for staff to call out.
- Offer to walk a neighbor’s dog or spend time with cats who are alone all day while their guardian is at work.
- Leave animal-friendly comments on Yelp for restaurants and retail stores, praising their vegan fare, cruelty-free product selection, etc.
- Donate your animal rights books to the library once you’ve read them.
- On New Year’s Eve, whether you’re hosting a party for many or just for one, this is the perfect time to put out a spread of indulgent vegan appetizers.