• Aug

The 10 Commandments From a Dog’s Perspective

©2011 Jupiterimages Corporation

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years; any separation from you will be painful for me. Remember that before you adopt me.

2. Give me time to understand what you want from me; don’t be impatient, short-tempered, or irritable.

3. Place your trust in me and I will always trust you back. Respect is earned not given as an inalienable right.

4. Don’t be angry with me for long and don’t lock me up as punishment; I am not capable of understanding why. I only know I have been rejected. You have your work, entertainment, and friends, but I only have you.

5. Talk to me. Even if I don’t understand your words, I do understand your voice and your tone. You only have to look at my tail.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I’ll never forget it, and if it’s cruel, it may affect me forever.

7. Please don’t hit me. I can’t hit back, but I can bite and scratch, and I really don’t ever want to do that

8. Before you scold me for being uncooperative, obstinate, or lazy, ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I’m not getting the right foods or I’ve been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak. It may be I am just dog-tired.

9. Take care of me when I get old. You too will grow old and may also need love, care, comfort, and attention.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys. Never say, “I can’t bear to watch” or “Let it happen in my absence.” Everything is easier for me if you are there. Remember, regardless of what you do, I will always love you.

Author Stan Rawlinson, 1993

This article originally appeared on PETA.org.

• Rachel Christensen says:

Our pets are never with us long enough, even when they do live fifteen years.

• Stephen says:

Words as wise as the look on the face of the dog pictured.

• Ana says:

My cat, Felix, died on July 13, 2011. It was very painful to watch him fade away and take his last breath but I was with him to the bitter end. He was with me since he was 9 weeks old and lived with me for 14 years; he deserved my love and loyalty on his very last journey. Fourteen years was not long enough.

• Cheri M says:

I have loved and lost a couple of the BEST cats in the world. That was over 30 years ago, and I still miss them SO much. I have a wonderful rescue cat now. He’s nine, and he has diabeties, I give him insulin twice a day. And he’s so good about it. NO fuss.
    He’s my friend and my comforter, and my constant companion.
    I love him dearly.

• Renata says:

I agree with Rachel. Their time is so precious, so precious. And in the end, if we think of it: they ask so little from us and they give us SO MUCH! I feel blessed and honoured to have them with me.
    Fortunately now I work from home and this is particularly precious time because my cats are going on with the age and the dog, well, yes, he is still very young (he will be 2 on the 27, well this is the date the rescue woman gave us: he was taken to be put down with his brother and the two sisters just after they were born): but we know how fast time slips away. The rascal is behind my chair now, all stretched from his bed onto the rug: he likes it in this way! Surrounded by toys and a nylon-bone, mumbling to himself as he always does. Such an opinionated dog!!! :)

• Patty Bowers says:

So beautiful and true. If only these words could get to the people who need it most. Lets publish in the editorials of all our newspapers! And lv. copies of it in the mailboxes of people in our towns who neglect and or abuse their dogs.

• BobbieH says:

In memory of my precious Brewzzie, who never left my side for 15 years. !10 times that would not have been long enough! I’ll see you in heaven, my little love!

• Daisy says:

I’m crying so hard…we can be really miserable with them some times =..(

• DOLLY says:

Yes our pets and any animals should be precious to us..if people could only know that they are and will always be the best friends they will ever have..they love us unconditionally..even when they are mistreated I believe that they somehow still manage to love, just not understand why they are mistreated or why they must fear someone..I cannot imagine what is in a person’s mind that wants to hurt something defenseless!!

• Sandy says:

Very sweet article, and very true!! Thanks for posting this!

• Ellie says:

I love this poem. Every time I come across it it makes me cry.

• Brande says:

i lost my horse Brandy back in 2001, he had to be put down, i have lived with guilt and sadness, and a broken heart because i was not there, because i couldn’t watch, i would of stopped the vet, but i knew he was in such pain, but i wish i was strong enough to have been there, i never let a day go by that he is not with me in some way… i can’t wait to see him again. i love you brandy boy and always will….

• Toyya says:

Awwww… I really gotta get a dog!! I’ve been wanting another for years and haven’t had one since I was a kid. I’m just trying to be sure I can take really good care of it before I get it. In due time. I’ll just have to be patient, but their love and loyalty is one reason I love them so much.