Family & Friends

  • Jul
  • 26

Man Fined for Zapping Dog With Shock Collar

Posted by at 2:36 PM | Permalink | Comments (2)


majalie/cc by 2.0

Here’s some shocking news: A man in Wales was fined £2,000—about $3,200—for using a shock collar on his dog, the first such prosecution in Britain since the collars were outlawed in Wales last year because of animal welfare concerns. England and Scotland are also considering implementing bans, and the U.S. would do well to follow suit.

Not only are shock collars cruel by design (they cause dogs to live in fear of being painfully shocked for engaging in normal behavior such as jumping or barking), they can also malfunction and cause serious burns. And shock collars and other cruel “training” devices are also unsafe. For example, an invisible fence is a nonexistent fence for cruel humans, roaming dogs, or other animals who can freely enter the property. Invisible fences can even encourage dogs to escape: Because they only suffer painful shocks in the yard, dogs can come to associate the shock with the yard itself. The Welsh dog whose owner was fined escaped his invisible fence so often that the townsfolk had come to know him as “the dog with the shock collar.”

Never use a shock collar, prong collar, invisible fence, or other cruel device to train your dog. Even if your dog’s confused, frightened eyes don’t move you, you’ll never forgive yourself if your beloved friend escapes the “invisible fence” and gets hit by a car.

Image: majalie / cc by 2.0

Posted to Family & Friends | Posted to Tags: , , ,

More:

Bookmark and Share
2 Comments

Subscribe to this post's comment RSS.

    Mandi says...

    July 26th, 2011, 10:32 pm

    I’m glad that shock collars are prohibited in Britain. They are cruel and unnecessary. You’re right, they can malfunction so easily! A friend of mine had a shock collars on her dogs. When the power went out once the collars kept shocking the defensless dogs! Of course she tried to get the collars off herself, and when she finally was able to, it shocked her! I think that shock collars are dangerous and unnecessary and I hope other countries create laws prohibiting them as well.

    Lea Harris says...

    July 30th, 2011, 1:27 pm

    Why would anybody do anything to their dog that would horrify them if it were done to their child ?

Post a Comment

Please keep comments polite, constructive, and on topic. All fields in bold are required.

About Family & Friends

Make your time with your friends and family—including your animal companions—even more meaningful.

Recent Comments

Disclaimer

The information and views provided here are intended for informational and preliminary educational purposes only. From time to time, content may be posted on the site regarding various financial planning and human and animal health issues. Such content is never intended to be and should never be taken as a substitute for the advice of readers' own financial planners, veterinarians, or other licensed professionals. You should not use any information contained on this site to diagnose yourself or your companion animals' health or fitness. Readers in need of applicable professional advice are strongly encouraged to seek it. Except where third-party ownership or copyright is indicated or credited regarding materials contained in this blog, reproduction or redistribution of any of the content for personal, noncommercial use is enthusiastically encouraged.