• Nov

MoneyWatch Agrees: It Pays to Be Vegan

MoneyWatch Agrees: It Pays to Be Vegan by Guest Blogger

©2010 Jupiterimages Corporation

Here’s some free financial advice from MoneyWatch: If you want to save money, go vegan. Beef and dairy prices are expected to rise by 5 percent in 2011. Pig meat-or “pork” to those who like to pretend that they’re eating something other than the flesh of a dead, dismembered pig-will likely cost 3 or 4 percent more next year too.

And people who are actually willing to fork over money for a turkey’s corpse have to fork over a whole lot more of it this year, largely because of a 56 percent increase in feed costs. (Yet another reason why I’m passing on turkey!)

The real savings of going vegan can’t be put in a bank-animals’ lives, the environment, and good health (well, unless you count all the money you save on healthcare costs)-but vegans do tend come out ahead in the supermarket check-out lane, so it simply makes cents (get it? sense?) to go vegan.

This post was originally published on The PETA Files.

• Kim says:

A vegan diet is definitely the most affordable. I used to eat meat years ago. When I began working at my first job after college, my salary was so low that I actually qualified for public assistance (found this out after the fact). I remember grocery shopping with my roommate for the first time, and I had some chicken in my cart. Vaguely remembering the black bean quesadillas that my college friends and I used to make, I ambled over to the foreign foods aisle in search of beans. The price was so much better that I put back all the meat in my cart, and those months living on beans and lentils caused me to lose my cravings for meat. I gave it up entirely about 8 months later.

• Ruth says:

A vegan way of living is the best diet there is, you can buy 1lb of beans and 1lb of rice and you spend maybe $3.00 and its good for you, you have Iron, protein, carbohydrates, calcium and other minerals, and no Animal is abused or dies.

• Squillions says:

I have found going vegan to be one of the most frugal decisions I have ever made, and on so many levels. I am healthier now, so I have fewer days of decreased productivity and fewer trips to the doctor for this ache or that pain. My food bills have been cut almost in half, even when I buy the “more expensive” organic and locally produced foods. And, eating out? Fughedaboudit! So much more affordable now! I just love knowing that I have so many wonderful arguments for following my conscience and not adding to the suffering of animals.

• alicia lyn says:

It’s true, im rich and thin 😉

• Laura in Taos says:

I haven’t seen the full economic benefit of shifting from vegetarian to vegan yet. The first couple of weeks we had a huge food bill getting all the necessary staples into the house. I think next month will be a better indicator now that we have a well stocked pantry.

About Health

Improve your health, save animals, and protect the planet.