• Aug

Rambo: A Tale Of Survival

Rambo: A Tale Of Survival by Guest BloggerBecause of your support, PETA is able to help thousands of individual animals each year through the Community Animal Project (CAP). CAP serves the indigent urban and rural areas of southeastern Virginia and the North Carolina border counties. This is another entry in the ongoing series of posts chronicling the work of CAP—this post is from Emily Allen, assistant manager of CAP.

PETA’s fieldworkers are on duty around the clock, and our emergency pager is always on (and beeping!). Every day, we come to the rescue of abused and neglected dogs by providing them with food; clean water; lightweight tie-outs; deworming medicine; flea, tick, and flystrike prevention; free veterinary care; spaying and neutering; and so much more (including love and attention). For animals who wish only to give someone love and loyalty and who ask for nothing more in return, the world can be a very cruel, cold place, as was the case for Rambo.

We have known Rambo since 2006, when his body condition was unremarkable:

Not three years went by, though, before we found Rambo looking like this:

Poor Rambo—left without food or water—was horribly emaciated and starving inside a filthy pen. Rambo’s owner was a nasty woman who refused to accept the fact that her dog was in need of emergency veterinary care and would surely die if not treated. In fact, she refused any help at all.

We worked with local law enforcement to get Rambo seized and to pursue criminal charges of cruelty to animals against the negligent owner. The owner pleaded not guilty in court and told the judge that “the birds ate his food.” But with the help of PETA’s testimony and the meticulous evidence that we collected, the judge didn’t buy this nonsense and found the owner guilty of cruelty to animals (which sends a strong message to other potential abusers).

Rambo has gained more than 30 pounds since he was seized by local animal control. He was adopted and will be living the final years of his life in peace.

Rambo’s case is bittersweet, but it is not unusual—we encounter abused and neglected animals every day. Please never hesitate to report cruelty. PETA has helpful information here.

• Lynne says:

This woman needs to be starved and tied up in a yard and of course she should never never never be able to own another animal.

• jackie c says:

Thank God for PETA.

• Debbi Whilden says:

So sad that there are such horribly cruel people in this world! Thank god for Peta!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and others like myself who truely care about animals )

• Crystal Locke says:

Amen for this lady to be found “GUILTY”….But my question is did the lady have to pay a fine or spend some time in jail? I hope so!!

• Yaritza Gonzalez says:

Im very happy with the final of this story.Thanks for the work you do and for giving animals like this a second chance.

• karishma says:

Good job guys ! Well done. Bless u

• FeraWerto says:

I love animals so much.I have one dog , Saba, who is my lovely poppy even if she is 2,5 years old ;).I can’t imagine how can humans be so cruel.I really don’t undersdant it.It’s not normal.We must love them.I wish Rambo a lot of love form his new family.He deserve for it.I love you PETA.Thank you for your work.BIG, BIG greetings form Poland!;)

• Lori says:

This IS what needs to be done to the owners!

• Birgitte Maack says:

Well that is really nice to hear that PETA saved Rambo. But I must admit I don`t like the place that the new picture of Rambo is taken. It looks like a junk yard with all that garbage. So how is his life actually today,besides he gets enough food!!

• Debbie Beracha says:

Thank you PETA for your persistence in helping this animal. Rambo deserves a better life, thank you for helping him.

• Irma says:

a happy ending to a horrible story. I wish there were more happy endings for neglected animals. Too often, help comes too late or never comes…

• Sharon Andrews says:

Well done PETA, why do people bother to have an animal if they don’t want to care for it. Every animal needs to be sold desexed so we can stop at least the unwanted animals.

• Sharron says:

Cruelty should be done to the “humans” who mistreat animals.
    I’m so glad for Peta, the SPCA’s and all places of safety for animals.

• kaylee says:

So sad! Thank you so much PETA!

• Vajira says:

A great job guys, this is we need from you……… keep it up!!!!!!!!!!

• storm94k says:

awww poor baby,thank god he’s saved.thx peta

• Tieea says:

Anyone who rescues an animal is wonderful in my mind. Great work. xx

• Winston says:

Many thanks to the lovely family that adopted Rambo !
    Adoption is the way to go

• ian says:

someone please tied that woman. and let her rot.

• Toolika says:

Love for Rambo…

• James Bond says:

• Rita says:

Awesome job PETA!!!!!!

• Kalindi says:

Love for Rambo…Great work PETA

• Joanne says:

The government needs to chang the laws let the punishment fit the crime

• Josephine Muro says:

I know cruelty occurs every day and everywhere. I moved to AZ 4 years ago and I have heard of puppies being left on the street in the middle of the street, being taped all fours and mouth, unable to move and many other horror stories.
    I found a dog by a drug store and asked the personnel to call someone and they said they didn’t know who to call. I asked at a restaurant for some water for the dog and bought some dog food for him. A person at the restaurant said “Oh yea, hes been around for about a week eating out of the dumpster”! I said, no one has called the humane society?
    I called the humane society and they said they had no one to send out. I could drop him off in the middle of Phoenix. I called the police and they said this was not an emergency.

• Claudia says:

Thank you so much PETA!

• Tucker says:

DON’T BE SCARED TO!!!!!!!!!
    BACK DOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Rhonda says:

Look how great Rambo looks. He’s gorgeous! I’m thankful for people like PETA to help animals in need :)
    Need more people like PETA in the world for the animals…

• saumya says:

I had a cat who was like my baby and i had to give it away to my brother since I am leaving US pretty soon. I flew with him all the wal to sfo to my brother just to make sure he is in good hands. I have one more whom I have to give away and i am still looking for a good home for him. I dont imagine how people can be so cruel not to take care of the ones who love them so much and are committed to them for their whole lives

• saumya says:

I didn’t want to give them but i have no options since they cannot survive in india:-(….we get no cat food and litter over there and the noise pollution and traffic is so high that they will get really scared to death. I am doing it for their good