• Jul

Victory for Bulls: Catalonia Bans Bullfighting!

Victory for Bulls: Catalonia Bans Bullfighting! by Guest Blogger

©2010 Jupiterimages Corporation

PETA – and everyone who cares about animals worldwide – is elated that the Catalan Parliament has banned bullfighting. It was clear that the tide had turned when 180,000 signatures were collected in support of the ban. The people have spoken: cruelty to animals – disguised as “tradition” – will no longer be tolerated. Various cities and towns across Spain, France, Portugal, Colombia, Venezuela and Ecuador have all recently declared themselves anti-bullfighting, and now Catalonia becomes the second Spanish region to ban bullfighting outright, after the Canary Islands in 1991. According to a 2009 Gallup survey, 76 per cent of Spaniards have no interest in attending or supporting bullfights.

Bullfighting is a cowardly pursuit. The bull is often severely debilitated with laxatives, blows to the kidneys, dehydration and petroleum jelly smeared into his eyes before he enters the ring. In a typical bullfight, men on blindfolded horses drive lances into the bull’s back and neck, impairing the animal’s ability to lift his head. Others plunge banderillas – bright sticks with harpoon points – into his back. Finally, after the bull has become weakened from blood loss, the matador appears and attempts to kill the bull but often succeeds only in further maiming the disadvantaged animal, who is then dragged out of the arena by his horns, sometimes still conscious, before a new bull enters and the same horrifying spectacle starts all over again.

However, after today’s inspiring news, it looks like those mean matadors will have no choice but to hang up their capes for good! And all of us at PETA could not be happier!

This post was originally published on PETA UK.

• Ruth Serra says:

Genesis 1:28 Further, God blessed them and God said to them: “Be fruitful and become many and fill the earth and subdue it, and have in subjection the fish of the sea and the flying creatures of the heavens and every living creature that is moving upon the earth.”

29 And God went on to say: “Here I have given to YOU all vegetation bearing seed which is on the surface of the whole earth and every tree on which there is the fruit of a tree bearing seed. To YOU let it serve as food.

30 And to every wild beast of the earth and to every flying creature of the heavens and to everything moving upon the earth in which there is life as a soul I have given all green vegetation for food.” And it came to be so.

If you read what it says, it says

God was talking about animals and people eating VEGETATION.

God holds us accountable for how we treat animals.

When Adam was created, God surrounded him with animals and call it “very good”.
    If God brings our pets back to life, it wouldn’t surprise me. It would be just like Him. It would be totally in keeping with His generous character.

The planet, space, stars everything is his (GOD).

Be careful what you do to GOD’S creation for he is always watching.
    And if you want him to remember you care for his animals.

And if you believe in god or you do not you have to believe, simple, you eat, drink, sleep and breath these are his rules and we all have to live by them.

• Vicky Slay says:

I am so pleased to hear this news. I have never liked the Bull fights as I just learned some of the other disadvantages they do to these animal. What cowards these Bull fighters are.

• Melissa says:

Ruth Serra,
    Thank you for your comment. I truly enjoyed reading it and feeling the devotion behind your keystrokes. You may want to read a book by the Title, “Is God a Vegetarian?” Richard Alan Young is the author and the ISBN is: 0-8126-9393-0
    Check Amazon.com for a used copy. I find lots of very cheap books there.
    I have flipped through my copy and read some of it and it appears to be very good – even has some Vegan recipes. I have many books on my “read when I get a chance” list and this is one of them. :-)
    I feel we were meant to be Vegetarians but because of the Original Sin, people began eating flesh. I purchased the above book to learn a few things to say to Christians who object when it comes to my eating habits. :-)
    Anyway, to all of you out there who are Vegetarians or Vegans for whatever reason (belief in the Bible, health, the plight of the environment and/or the animals), THANK YOU! You are saving the lives of animals every day because of your choice and you are preventing the suffering of so many beautiful beings. You are also part of the environmentalist movement because it is meat production that is ruining this Earth. Search the Internet for the statistics. All the information you could ever hope for is there! :-)
    As for the hard work of the many dedicated people to end bullfighting … GO PETA!!! I absolutely love you people!! I tell my coworkers, friends and family that when PETA is after someone for abusing animals, that person has “had a BAD day!!” It doesn’t matter if it is a large company or a Nation of people, PETA won’t back down! They never get tired and they never quit!!!!!
    I quit … reading the above article that is. :-) The descriptive nature of what happens to the bull brought me to tears. How many have suffered this way?! I always thought bullfighting was a disgusting “sport” but never knew the things done to the bulls before they even entered the ring! It truly is a sport for cowards and hurrah! to the Spanish for realizing tradition/culture/heritage should NEVER include cruelty.
    I am proud to be a PETA member and to be connected in a special way to all of you. Let’s continue the work…

• Nancy says:

This is great news, but now for the rest of the world….

• Noemi says:

Now I’m proud of being Spanish!

• Ruth,
    You could not have put into words any better than this for truly they are God’s creatures. God Bless you ! We will all continue to suffer on this planet but with the God-given help that PETA HAS DONE OVER THESE MANY YEARS. GOD BLESS THEM ALSO AND KEEP UP THE WORKS!

Concern citizen of Chesapeake, Va. who’s home town is Norfolk, Va. and I am very proud of it.

• seema white says:

It’s about time this despicable and barbaric practice was brought to an end everywhere. How any human can torture another living being in this manner is just shameful!!! So happy to hear this latest news. Slowly but surely progress is made and continues to. Thank you PETA!!!

• Deborah says:

Ruth: I’m an avid supporter of PETA and I don’t eat meat, and what you quoted from Genesis is very touching — but how, then, do you explain the existence of carnivorous animals? There are many animals who eat only vegetation, such as horses, cows, etc., but there are also many animals who kill and eat other animals — including our pets, such as cats, who hunt birds and mice, as you well know. Dogs are predators as well — so I simply cannot reconcile what is stated in the Bible with the reality of what exists in nature — as much as I wish it was true.

• Tim Johnston says:

As I don’t read the bible but believe in God it was enlightening to read your article, thank you.
    I spend a lot of time in Andalusia , Spain, and it amazes me how many people are Churchgoers and are so religious and respectful of their beliefs but treat so many animals with such disdain and cruelty,maybe they will start to think now more about Christian attitudes towards those who share this wonderful planet.

• Mary Jeanne Hernandez says:

At last one of the many cruelties to these bautiful creatures have been resolved. Kudos to PETA for a job well done. Prayers are slowly being answered by animal lovers from all over the world. It just breaks my heart to know these kind of horrific treatments to God’s creatures are being done by man. PETA please let us know how we can help. It’s our responsibility, it’s our commitment!

• Nigel Greaves says:

Yet another landmark in the fight against animal cruelty. Is it not proof that continuous effort pays off in the end? It seems a long hard road at times to end the suffering of animals at the hand of man but progress is always being made, albeit rather slowly. Well done PETA!

• Alan Braganza says:

Thank you to PETA. Keep reaching out to all people everywhere of all ages and appeal to their basic humanity and understanding that ALL animals such as bulls do in fact feel both physical pain as well as considerable mental anguish, stress and fear from the mere captivity and repeated contact with humans. Animals really are to be protected and not brutalised.

They are forced to react out of torment and torture to fight back and then they are killed and rather brutally and moreover as a spectator sport which is really barbaric and inhumane; all animal bloodsport NEEDS TO BE ENDED and IT MUST be ended both in the Eastern world and in the Western world. Make the requests to the highest authorities and let them legislate the end to all animal bloodsports and instead substitute effective alternatives for the public en masse to partake in such as casinos; amusement parks (without animals); and extreme activities/sports.

The people who are so inclined to support such “traditions” must “end the animal brutality of bloodsports” and rather take up activities and sports that they can watch on TV or become directly involved in such as Extreme sports in the form of daredevil stunts to extreme wrestling to cage fighting that we see on TV to experience the adrenaline peaks they need.

Please CHANGE THE THINKING and teach the world to not get satisfaction from watching animal cruelty shows and domestic animal abuses.

Stop supporting bullfighting shows worldwide!!

It will then become a better world for all, especially for children and for women and the most vulnerable.

• Ruth Kildall says:

When living in Barcelona some 40 years ago, a Spanish friend who knew how dismayed I was by their bullfights, consoled me: “I promise you that people will loose interest in bull fights. Already a majority is much more interested in soccer.” But it did take 2 new generations before it was stopped. Moral of story: We all have to hang in there. My heartfelt thanks to PETA UK and everywhere in the world you are fighting the good cause.

• roy says:

i`m so happy than now in bogota colombia , it is forbidden this kind of things!!