Weekly Top 10

About PETA Prime Are you ready to make a big difference for yourself, animals, and the Earth through simple day-to-day choices? PETA Prime has all the information you need to live a healthy, humane, and rewarding life.

PETA Business Friends


  • Jul
  • 21

Toxic Mushrooms in the Backyard

Posted by at 5:27 AM | Permalink | Comments (2)
Toxic Mushrooms in the Backyard by Elizabeth Bublitz

©2010 Jupiterimages Corporation

If you’ve experienced a lot of moisture and low temperatures in your area this past spring, you may have come across some wild mushrooms.

I live in Colorado, and we went through a soggy and cold—yet gorgeous—spring. Unfortunately, I’ve heard some horrific stories as a result about dogs suddenly dying because they ingested wild mushrooms in their own backyard. That’s why I want to make sure that everyone is aware of the potential dangers.

If you’ve had a wet spring, it’s best to patrol your yard for wild mushrooms and eradicate them immediately if you find any. The best way to remove them is to dig them up with a baggie on your hand (the same way you might scoop up your dog’s waste on a walk). If you kick the mushroom or remove only the top part of it, spores will spread and new mushrooms could begin to grow overnight. Check decaying material and wood—especially old tree trunks, limbs, or cedar fences—because mushrooms can thrive on them. Not all mushrooms are toxic, but they can make many dogs as well as humans sick with gastrointestinal illness or worse. The more toxic mushrooms can be fatal, causing severe liver damage that can occur rather quickly.

If you catch your dog eating wild mushrooms, get the pieces out of his or her mouth and take him or her to your vet immediately. Bring along the specimen. Since some wild mushrooms are not toxic, it’s best to know which type your dog ate. If he or she vomits the mushroom, take it to your veterinarian for examination. If your regular veterinarian is closed, the emergency vet fee will be well worth the cost if your pal has swallowed a toxic mushroom!

Use caution on walks. Many dog guardians let their dogs off leash—which is fine if it is an off-leash park—but that means the guardians are not observing their dogs’ actions every minute. If you suspect that there might be mushrooms around, be mindful and watch your dog. If your dog eats or even licks a toxic mushroom, he or she can become ill. Stay close and monitor your dog, especially if he or she is spending a lot of time in one area.

Also, when walking your dog through the neighborhood, watch what he or she tries to eat. Often, mushrooms can grow stealthily in the neighbor’s grass along the sidewalk, allowing easy access for your dog to eat or lick them.

As you head outside to enjoy the warm summer temperatures, be mindful of the many dangers that can lurk in a dog’s environment. It’s always far easier and less costly to prevent problems from environmental hazards such as mushrooms than it is to treat them.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

  • Jessica says:

    Thank you so much for this article- I have a dog so I want to keep him safe. I posted this on my facebook so my friends with dogs will know too!

  • Dawn Anderson says:

    My neighbor in Carmel Highlands, CA lost her precious 3 year old dog due ingestion of a wild mushroom. She delayed taking him to the vet because she thought he would stop vomiting by the next day. It was definitely too late!!

About Health

Improve your health, save animals, and protect the planet.

Recent Comments


The information and views provided here are intended for informational and preliminary educational purposes only. From time to time, content may be posted on the site regarding various financial planning and human and animal health issues. Such content is never intended to be and should never be taken as a substitute for the advice of readers' own financial planners, veterinarians, or other licensed professionals. You should not use any information contained on this site to diagnose yourself or your companion animals' health or fitness. Readers in need of applicable professional advice are strongly encouraged to seek it. Except where third-party ownership or copyright is indicated or credited regarding materials contained in this blog, reproduction or redistribution of any of the content for personal, noncommercial use is enthusiastically encouraged.