Animal Times Recipe: “Beef” and Orzo Stuffed Peppers
© Steve Lee Studios
If you are a PETA member, you must already be holding (or you will be very soon) the new edition of the fantastic Animal Times, our easy-to-read quarterly magazine. If not, we would like to give you sneak peek into the content. Here is a yummy recipe for you courtesy of the current issue:
1 cup orzo pasta
4 peppers (green, orange, red or yellow)
2/3 cup tightly packed fresh parsley
1/4 cup vegan parmesan “cheese”
2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts
1 1/2 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. salt, divided
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. olive oil
12 oz. faux ground beef-style crumbles
1 medium tomato, seeded and chopped
12-oz. jar tomato sauce
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Cook the orzo according to the package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Fill a large pot with water and bring to a boil. Cut the tops off the peppers (save them) and scrape out the insides, removing the seeds. Place the peppers in the boiling water and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove and invert onto a paper towel to drain.
- Place the parsley, vegan parmesan, walnuts, basil, 1/2 tsp. salt and garlic in a food processor and pulse until blended. With the food processor running, slowly add 1/4 cup olive oil and continue processing until smooth, to form a pesto.
- In a large skillet, brown the beef-style crumbles in the remaining oil over medium heat. Stir in the orzo, pesto, 1/2 tsp. salt and the chopped tomato. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until the mixture is heated through.
- Pour the tomato sauce into an 8-inch glass baking dish. Fill the peppers with the “beef” mixture and place in the baking dish. Put the pepper tops back on and bake for 20 minutes.
Makes 4 servings
We hope you like it! And remember that you can receive Animal Times totally free, in addition to other great member-only benefits, by becoming a PETA member today.