• Apr

Honorary PETA Director, Bea Arthur Passes On

Honorary PETA Director, Bea Arthur Passes On By Guest Blogger

This post was originally written by Dan Mathews for The PETA Files.

People have lost one of the greatest comic actresses of all time, and animals have lost one of their all-time greatest defenders. An honorary PETA director and the winner of multiple PETA Humanitarian Awards, Bea Arthur joined PETA in 1987, when the Golden Girls did an anti-fur episode and Arthur, Rue McClanahan, and Betty White filmed a PETA anti-fur PSA on the set of the show.

A tireless advocate for animals, Bea campaigned against the force-feeding of ducks in the foie gras trade, travelling to London with PETA President Ingrid E. Newkirk, where she called on Harrod’s to stop selling the cruelly made pâté. Bea also called for a boycott of KFC until it improves the way it raises and kills its chickens, campaigned against animal experimentation, spoke out about the abuse of animals on factory farms, and was a vocal opponent of the use of exotic animals in circuses.

She will be missed.

• Phyllis says:

When I read this is shocked me so much that I cried out “OH NO” and 2 of my dogs came running in to see what was wrong. I loved Bea’s acting but her activism was magnificient. Although I don’t know her I do feel like I’ve lost a friend and there’s no question that the animals have lost a great friend. But aren’t we glad we “knew” her for a while?

• Lisa Steele says:

The Golden Girls has been one of my favorite shows since I was a kid. While I was aware that Rue and Betty were avid animal advocates, I had no idea that Bea was also. She will definitely be missed, but always remembered.

• JJ says:

She will be missed by the animals. I don’t think anyone can take her place.She was a wonderful comic actress. She will be missed by all.

• Pamela says:

I am saddened to learn of Bea Arthur’s death. Her voice, both as an actor and as an activist, will be much missed.

• Paul Bouvier says:

You know how “Opie” use to always be towards his aunt Bea on the tv show that made him famous as a kid.Well Bea was an aunt to all the animals out there in the same way.God Bless Her.

• Samantha says:

She will be truley MISSED.

• Kim says:

Loved Maude when it was on! I really think it influenced my feminism as it was developing.
    I did not realize bea was actice in PETA.
    Bless her!

• Melinda Bond says:

During this revolutionary period in human history as it applies to our treatment of other creatures, the loss of this dedicated and highly influencial advocate for animals is tragic. Yet it is reassuring to know that we truly are making a difference. In the past 100 years, our ways have been monumentally transformed. While there is still alot to do in a small amount of time and so very much at stake, let us not be disheartened by our loss. Let us see the totality of her life, rather, as a tribute to all the good that one dedicated person passing through this world can do. Her influence here will echo long past our sorrow in losing her. May her memory remind us each of our power and that through our choices and actions great or small, we all make influnces of our own.

• judy says:

She will be missed. I can’t think of a more honorable thing to do for this magnificent lady than by carrying on the work for animals.

• Kaletta says:

Like others I did not know she had passed nor was an animal acitivist. I’m sure she is taking care of all our “family” members in heaven that are waiting for their “other family” She will be truly missed by those that loved and knew her.

• Helen says:

What a lady and a friend to animals.

May I join Peta friends in sorrow for the lost of such a great activist in favor of animals rights .

• Carol Colla says:

To say that she will be missed is a understatement. I did not know that Bea Arthur was a animal activist. From what I read in your article she was a true pioneer and fighter for the animals and they have lost a loving and strong voice for them. I hope someone as great can come in and pick up the fight.