• Mar

St. Patty’s Treat: Chocolate-Stout Cupcakes

St. Patty's Treat: Chocolate-Stout Cupcakes by Guest BloggerHappy St. Patrick’s Day! Here’s a fun vegan baking idea from our friend Amy over at VegCooking.com.  Now let’s go celebrate!

Chow.com recently posted a recipe for St. Patty’s Day Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes, and immediately I knew that they needed to be veganized because it would allow me to indulge in both my love for dark beer and my love for baking.

The first step in veganizing the cupcakes is to replace the Guinness, which is not vegan-friendly, with another Irish stout or coffee. Next, replace the milk with soy milk and the eggs with Ener-G brand egg replacer. Finally, replace the sour cream with the vegan equivalent, or if you are like me and don’t have any on hand, use Vegenaise. I swear this was good and led to super-moist cupcakes that even my brother, who seems to be deathly afraid of all things vegan, approved of.

To get a nice light dusting of cocoa powder, try placing a small amount on a spoon and then blowing it onto the cupcakes. Of course, you don’t want to do this if you’re baking something you’re going to sell or, say, giving the cupcakes to a complete germaphobe, but it is a neat at-home trick.

Enjoy the cupcakes with a strong Irish coffee, and you’ll have a buzz, not just from sugar, to last throughout the day.

Check out the final veganized recipe at VegCooking.com.

• I never knew Guiness is not vegan! As an Irish girl, I celebrate St. Patty’s with a pint of Guiness (it’s the only time I drink it, I am a Corona drinker, lime and all) Does anyone know what makes Guiness non-vegan? And please, if you have any similar info about Corona, keep it to yourself (just kidding)

• Wow, that’s news to me too. Guess I messed up a bit on St. Pat’s Day. I googled and this is what I found out —

All Guinness brands are free from animal matter. However, isinglass, which is a by-product of the fishing industry, is used as a fining agent for settling out suspended matter in the vat. The isinglass is retained in the floor of the vat but it is possible that minute quantities might be carried over into the beer.

• Heidi says:

Check out this website to see what beer, wine, and alcohol is vegan or not-http://www.barnivore.com/

And for those Corona drinkers out there, here’s what they said: Yes, our beer is suitable for vegans; in fact, corona is made with natural products like Rice, Water, Hops, Refined corn starch and Yeast. No animal products are involved.

• Susan Mullen says:

I’m just paraphrasing, but I think almost all beer is “clarified”. Some of the clarifying agents contain animal ingredients, some don’t. I’ve seen an article somewhere that had lists of vegan and non-vegan beers. I think it was in VegNews.

• Patty says:

Yeah, I’m curious too – why is Guiness not vegan? I thought all beers were made from veg/grain sources…

• Jessi says:

I don’t know necessarily about guiness… but some beers or ales have honey in them, like leinenkugel has a Honey Wheat.

• Rob says:

Really old thread, but I’ll comment as a brewer.

There are two ways to clarify beer. The first is Irish Moss, an algae-like moss that has a high natural gelatin content. This is vegan.

The other is isinglass, which is derived from the swim bladder of a fish.

This is a big generalization, but generally British Ales use isinglass, where as American craft beers use irish moss (except for those explicitly made in the “british style”). Always check with the producer, but if you’re out and about and want a pint, it’s a good rule of thumb.

About Home & Garden

Create a wonderful, cruelty-free home and garden.